Saturday, March 8, 2008

EPSON LX300+ printer works well with the Generic-IBM-Compatible_Dot_Matrix_Printer driver in your Kubuntu Desktop.

One of the most troublesome activities I encountered in fine tuning my Linux Desktop is finding the correct driver for my printer. My printer is Epson LX300+ and it is not currently fully supported by Ubuntu or Kubuntu. In short there is no entry for driver for this model in the printer database. I tried several other drivers for my dot matrix printer that are available in my Linux box. But the result was not very impressive and quite frustrating. I did not lost hope and keep on googling the net for weeks until I found one that closely matches my printer. I share this success of mine because I know there are people out there who are still struggling with the same problem I've met before. Sharing ideas with the open source community members in solving different problems that we've met I think is what makes Linux very interesting. Download this driver Generic-IBM-Compatible_Dot_Matrix_Printer-ibmpro.ppd from the internet by simply clicking this link www.linuxprinting.

Once the webpage is completely loaded in your browser follow the instructions for downloading the printer driver:
1. Click Drivers
2. Click ibmpro
3. Select Generic IBM-Compatible Dot Matrix Printer from the combo box
4. Select download radio button
5. Click Generate PPD file
6. Click Save File to save driver to your desktop

In installing the printer driver in your Linux box, just follow the instructions found in your distribution. For me I'm using Kubuntu 7.10, and it's quite easy and no hazzles. Here is the steps.
1. Click System Settings
2. Click Add Printer/Class
3. Click Next
4. Click Local printer, if you are connecting the printer in your local printer port.
5. Click Next
6. Click Other to select the saved ppd file from your hard drive.
7. Keep on navigating until the computer will ask for the name of your printer.
8. Then name the newly added printer, give its short description by typing in their assigned text boxes, then click Next, and click Finish button.

Genes M. Acenas Sr
Software Developer
Bato, Leyte
Philippines

No comments: